Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Wedding Planning Q&A | Part 1

Even though no two brides are alike (kind of like snowflakes) they still ask similar questions. In the next couple weeks I am going to be doing a mini series answering some common questions that I find myself frequently answering.

If I am wearing an ivory gown is it okay to have white linens, groomsmen shirts, etc.?
It is certainly acceptable to mix shades of white, or any color for that matter, without having to worry about clashing. My only hesitation would be if your gown is a true ivory color, with a yellow tone, then you may want to consider using ivory linen, shirts, etc. only because you don't want your gown looking dirty or dingy. However, most gowns that are an "ivory" color don't pull too much yellow so again don't worry too much unless it's really a yellowish color.

Is it okay to serve only one entree at our dinner?
Some people may disagree with me but yes, there is no need to offer more than one entree choice at your dinner. If you are hesitant think of it like this. The last time you attended a dinner party (essentially what your dinner is, just on a larger scale) were you given a choice or did you call the host and give your suggestions? My guess is no, you didn't. I do suggest though that if you are only going to serve one entree that it be something the majority of people enjoy, and I would skip the red meat and maybe consider serving a combination plate. Also, if you are concerned about dietary needs, don't be. As a guest, it is their responsibility to contact you if they have an allergy or special dietary needs.

What time should an hors d'oeuvre reception start?
The timing of this type of reception can be tricky and you want to ensure that your invitation conveys to all of your guests that the food is going to be "limited" and that they aren't having a 5 course meal. With that said, I absolutely wouldn't start an hors d'oeuvre reception before 7 pm and if possible would start it a little later. You want you allow your guests time to eat dinner before they arrive to your reception otherwise you could run out of food and have disgruntled starving wedding guests. Not fun.

Do you have a question you'd like me to answer? I'd really love to hear them! Leave a comment or email me at meghan{at} thecitybride{dot}com.

2 comments:

  1. Here's a question I have been stumped on for months... We are having a small intimate ceremony at Villa Terrace (okay, not that small 120 people) but we are inviting another 100 to the reception at Lake Park Bistro. How do I word the invitations to those not 'invited' to the ceremony?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the question Liz, I will answer it next Wednesday with the next Q&A post.

    ReplyDelete