Thursday, April 8, 2010

How to Create a Timeline | Part 2

A few weeks ago I discussed the importance of having a timeline on your wedding day and how to go about drafting one. A lovely reader also requested that as a follow up I post a sample timeline. So, for the last couples days I have been trying to create one and I've discovered I just can't do it. I don't feel comfortable providing brides with a sample timeline when all weddings are entirely different, especially when it comes to timing. I'd really hate for someone to try to make my sample timeline work just for the sake of ease. So, the next best thing is a list of the must-haves for your timeline.

  • the arrival times of all wedding day vendors
  • the start of the "getting ready" process for the bridal party
  • the time of the first look or when the bridal party should arrive at the ceremony site
  • the ceremony start time
  • the reception start time (including the start time for cocktails, dinner, hosted bar, etc.)
  • the approximate time of all toasts
  • the approximate time of formal dances
  • the close of the event
Of course, there are most likely additional elements for you to add to your timeline but again it depends on your wedding. You may want to include: the time of family formals, cake cutting, bouquet toss, etc. The key is to create a timeline that is detailed and easy to follow. After you have completed your timeline I suggest giving it to all of your vendors to ensure that everyone is on the same page and any discrepancies can be dealt with before your wedding day.

As I mentioned in part 1 of this post, a timeline is necessary no matter how simple you feel your wedding day is. If you are organized and have a timeline prepared I can assure you that will alleviate some stress on your wedding day.

No comments:

Post a Comment